Mario is one of the most beloved video game characters of all time. From his humble beginnings as “Jumpman” in the original Donkey Kong game to his iconic status as the star of the Super Mario puns franchise, mario punshas captured the hearts and imaginations of fans of all ages.
But what is it about this mustached plumber that makes him so endearing? Some might argue that it’s the exciting gameplay, the colorful graphics, or the catchy music, but we believe it’s something much simpler: the puns. That’s right, Mario puns are everywhere, and they’re a big part of what makes the games so memorable. In this article, we’ve collected over 100 Mario puns for your enjoyment.
What are Mario Puns?
In simplest terms, a pun is a form of wordplay that uses different meanings or similar-sounding words to create a humorous effect. In the case of Mario puns, this often involves using the title character’s name or referencing various elements of the games. Mario puns can be found in a variety of places, including online forums, social media, and even within the games themselves. They’re a great way to add some levity to a conversation or to show off your gaming knowledge.
To help get you started, we’ve compiled four categories of Mario puns: the 25 best short Mario puns, oneliner Mario puns, funny puns for Mario, and Mario puns for kids.
Best Short Mario Puns
- What’s Mario’s favorite type of music? JUMP.
- Why did Mario go to art school? He wanted to learn how to draw Yoshis.
- What do you call a group of mushrooms that love to sing? Fun-guys!
- Why did Mario break up with Princess Peach? He found someone even more fung-al.
- Why is it so hard to have a conversation with a Goomba? They have one-track minds.
- What do you call a cheap Mario? A parsli-panned.
- What did Bowser say when Mario asked him if he was hungry? “Yes, I’m koopa-starved.”
- What did Mario say to Luigi when he complained about the bad food? “Don’t worry, it’s-a gonna be pasta-tively better next time!”
- Why did Mario go to a psychiatrist? Because he was tired of people calling him crazy for talking to mushrooms.
- What do you call a hipster Mario? A musta-shio.
- Why was Mario so bad at tennis? He kept trying to jump on the ball.
- What do you call a group of Koopas in a band? The Shell-tastics.
- Why did Mario buy his girlfriend a fish? She said she wanted spaghetti for dinner.
- What did Mario say when he found a bunch of coins in the grass? “I’m on a roll-i!”
- What do you call a Mario who’s always losing? A shiitake-loser.
- Why is Mario always happy? Because he loves toad-ally awesome puns.
- What do you call a Mario who’s also a scientist? A pro-fungus-al.
- What does Bowser use to cut his pizza? A koopa-cutter.
- What do you call it when Mario beats Bowser in a race? A shellacking.
- Why did Mario go to the bank? He wanted to get a few coins for his pocket.
- What do you call it when Mario runs out of lives? A game-over-easy.
- Why did the Goomba break up with his girlfriend? She said he was too one-dimensional.
- What do you call a rich Mario? A fungbreaker.
- Why did Luigi break up with his girlfriend? She was always picking on his weight.
- What do you call Mario when he’s wearing sunglasses? A shroom dude.
One-line Mario Puns
- Mario is a fungi to be with.
- Luigi is the real Fun-gi brother.
- Mushroom puns are spore-linging.
- I’m a Goomba for Mario puns.
- Peachy keen about puns.
- Bowser? More like loser.
- You’re a Mario nista if you love the puns.
- Toad-ally awesome jokes.
- Let’s-a go laugh at some puns.
- I’m Mario-velous at making puns.
- Super Mario, super puns.
- These puns are 1-upping the competition.
- These puns are the Koopa-tion of my free time.
- These puns are Yoshi-fantastic.
- Don’t be a Koopa King, enjoy these puns!
- These puns are in-cog-neato.
- I gumba crazy for Mario puns.
- These puns are the bomb-omb.
- You can Luigi on me to deliver some puns.
- These puns are boos-ting my mood.
- These puns are fire-flower fantastic.
- I’m a Mario pun connoisseur.
- These puns are bowserific!
- These puns are re-boo-tiful.
- These puns are going straight into my pipe.
Funny Puns for Mario
- Why did the Toad go to the doctor? He was feeling a little mushy.
- What’s the difference between Mario and a cactus? One is a plant that jumps, the other is a plumber that jumps.
- Why did Wario cross the road? To get to the other side-scrolling level.
- What do you call a Goomba with a cold? A snotty scruncher.
- Why did Mario wear suspenders to the party? Because he heard they were the goombas.
- What did the Chain Chomp say when he broke free? “I’m off the chain!”
- Why did Luigi bring a map to the pool? He didn’t want to get lost in the deep end.
- What do you call a group of Thwomps? A stone concert.
- Why did Yoshi go to school? To earn his degree in egg-nomics.
- How does Bowser keep his shell so shiny? He polishes it with turtle wax.
- What is Bowser’s favorite type of pie? Koopa-nut.
- Why did Mario go to the bank? To get some coin-tage.
- What do you call a bunch of Bullet Bills? A barrage of bills.
- Why did the Bob-omb go to the hair salon? To get a blow-up dryer.
- What do you call a Chain Chomp with a cold? A sniffing poof.
- Why did Mario bring a ladder to the party? To get an extra life.
- What do you call a Boo that’s having a bad day? A blue Boo.
- Why did Luigi go to the dentist? To get his toothy-mushroom teeth fixed.
- What do you call Luigi when he’s stinky? A raw-luigi.
- Why did Bowser like to go to the auto repair shop? Because he always needed a good oiling.
- What do you call a bunch of angry Bullet Bills? A fury of bills.
- Why did Yoshi go to space? To visit his friends, the Lumasaurus Rexes.
- What do you call a Goomba with a drinking problem? A drunk-a.
- Why did Mario go to the costume party dressed as a ghost? Because he knew he could Boo everybody.
- What do you call it when Bowser gets a flat tire on his Koopa-clapper? A shell-ectomy.
Mario Puns for Kids
- What do you call Mario’s favorite bread? Focaccia.
- Why did Yoshi become a firefighter? To put out all the flaming Goombas.
- What do you call a group of Boos? A ghost party.
- Why did Luigi become a scientist? To learn how to invent a Super Mushroom.
- What did Peach say when Bowser asked her to marry him? “I don’t Bowser that much.”
- Why did Mario become a chef? To cook up some super spaghetti.
- What do you call a group of Yoshis? A rainbow of egg-layers.
- Why did Bowser go to the grocery store? To buy some koopa-nuts.
- What is Mario’s favorite sport? Mushroom Racing.
- Why did Luigi become an artist? To paint pictures of his favorite things, like goombas and mushrooms.
- What did Mario say when he found a hidden block? “I’m-a gonna be rich!”
- Why did Yoshi join the circus? To show off his amazing egg-juggling skills.
- What do you call a bunch of Goombas playing music? A symphony of stomping.
- Why did Bowser become a truck driver? To deliver all his koopa-berries.
- What did Peach say when Mario asked her out on a date? “I thought you’d never-a ask!”
- Why did Luigi become a writer? To pen his memoirs about his adventures with Mario.
- What do you call a group of Bob-ombs? A bomb family.
- Why did Mario go to the mall?To buy some new overalls for his next adventure.
- What did Bowser say when he lost a race against Mario? “My shell is too heavy!”
- Why did Yoshi go to the beach? To lay some egg-citing sunbathing.
- What do you call a group of Toads playing basketball? A slam-dunk squad.
- Why did Luigi become a magician? To make Goombas disappear.
- What did Peach say when Toad asked her to dance? “Sure, let’s boogie!”
- What do you call a bunch of Koopa Troopas on a camping trip? A shell-a-bration.
- Why did Mario become a musician? To play his famous tune, “Jump and Jive”.
Creative mario puns used in movie
Sure, here are some puns used in the Super Mario Bros. movie:
- “Trust the fungus.” – A line spoken by Toad when Mario and Luigi doubt his advice to follow fungus to find the princess.
- “Don’t anyone move, or you’ll be looking for the pieces of your brains with a microscope.” – Said by Mario to a group of kidnappers in the beginning of the movie.
- “Monkey! Monkey! Who’s got the monkey?” – Shouted by Luigi when trying to capture a monkey for a pet store in the movie’s opening scenes.
- “I’ll get those plumbers! I’ll crush them into dust! I’ll… uh… I’ll give them a good scare.” – A comical line delivered by King Koopa when he becomes frustrated with Mario and Luigi’s success.
- “It’s time to merge!” – Said by King Koopa when he tries to merge our world with his world.
- “Hey, paisanos! It’s the Super Mario Brothers Super Show!” – Used as part of an advertising campaign for the movie, originated from a live action/animated hybrid TV show featuring Mario and Luigi.
- “That’s Mama Luigi to you, Mario!” – Said by Luigi in a flashback scene.
- “I had to share a bunk bed with yo-yos know who?!” – Mario’s response to Luigi mentioning they had a tough childhood.
- “Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do” – A line from a popular song used by Luigi when he’s trying to win over Princess Daisy.
- “Luigi, look. It’s Adam and Eve and…Old Faithful!” – Once Mario and Luigi have travelled through a wormhole, they emerge in a desert and Mario spots a dinosaur that he mistakes for being a tourist site.
In addition to being entertaining, puns have the ability to connect people and foster positive emotions. They can create a sense of community amongst those who share a common interest in Mario and his adventures. Through the use of puns, fans can feel united in their love for the game, and share in the joy that Mario has brought them over the years. Whether you’re gaming, chatting with friends, or simply looking to have a bit of fun, Mario puns are a great way to bring a little lightheartedness into your day. Let’s celebrate all the amazing moments of our beloved Mario with some puns!