Pokémon has been a worldwide phenomenon since its creation in 1996. With over 800 species of Pokémon in existence, it’s inevitable that puns and wordplay would eventually become a part of the franchise’s culture. The community has come up with countless puns, jokes, and one-liners, and this article will showcase some of the best. From funny to cheesy, short to long, there’s sure to be a pun here for every Poke puns fan.
What Are Poke Puns?
Poke Puns are puns, jokes, or wordplay based on Pokémon names or elements. These puns can be short, one-liners or longer jokes, and they range from witty to corny. Poke puns can be found all over the internet, in memes, tweets, and even professional writing. Some puns reference the characteristics of a specific Pokémon, while others take a more general approach.
To give you a taste of what’s in store, we’ve compiled 25 of the best short Poké puns, 25 hilarious one-liner puns, 25 funny Poke puns for all to enjoy, 25 puns suitable for children and some puns from Pokémon-inspired movies.
Best Short Poke Puns
- Why don’t Pokémons ever lend money? They don’t pay Benjamins, only Pikachu.
- How does Pikachu send messages? Via Electr-onics.
- What’s Pikachu’s favorite dance move? The Electric Slide.
- Why can’t you trust a Ditto? Because they’re always hiding something.
- What is Pikachu’s favorite award? The Golden Raichu.
- Why did the Pokémon go on the internet? To Google it.
- Why don’t you hear much about Pokémon jokes? Because they always Pikachu cycle.
- Why did Ash’s Pikachu break up with its girlfriend? She was a bit of a Jigglypuff.
- Which Pokémon does Dracula own? Fangs-growth.
- What type of Pokémon is good at martial arts? A karate-chop.
- Which Pokémon can make a good captain? Squirtle!
- What is Pikachu’s favorite dance move from the 70s? The Disco-kachu.
- How do you make a Pikachu smile? Poke-him-on.
- What kind of Pokémon comes from a flower? Bulbasaur.
- Which Pokémon is known for its inability to fly? Absol-utely not flying.
- Why did the Pokémon start studying law? To become an Espeon-age attorney.
- Which Pokémon is great at soccer? Pikachu-cchu!
- What does Pikachu say to welcome people? Pikachu, I choose you.
- What did the Banana say to the Pikachus? Yellow there!
- Why did Pikachu fail his driving test? He kept Raichuing things.
- What do you call a Pikachu at a concert? A rock-and-Raichu.
- What type of car does Pikachu drive? An Elec-trick car.
- Why did Pikachu cross the road? To get to the second Gym.
- What do you call a Pokémon that can do magic? Abra Kadabra.
- Why did the Pokémon bring a teacup to a battle? It wanted to have a spot of tea!
Hilarious One-Liner Poké Puns
- I asked my Bulbasaur if it’s seed was genetically modified. It said: No, it’s all-natural.
- Talonflame and Swellow were in love, but they decided to Talonflame to each other later.
- Why did the Pikachu fail at cooking? Because it only knew how to fry-chu.
- Why did the Pikachu always feel cold? Because it was thunder-freezing.
- Dressed in a suit, Charmander went to the posh restaurant, but the waiter thought he looked a bit over-char-ched.
- Why doesn’t Pikachu like to share its food? Because it’s an Electri-vore.
- Why couldn’t Pikachu use a computer? Because it couldn’t find the mouse.
- What do you call a Pokémon that loves to party? Paras-yte.
- What do you call a Pikachu that swears a lot? Ash Ketchum-out.
- What do you call a fat Pikachu? Peek-at-chu!
- Why was Drowzee looking for weed? It wanted to get Fri-lit-hypno-tized.
- Which flower is a Pokémon fan’s favorite? A Sunkern, because it’s to cute-ern to pass up.
- Which kind of music does a Pokémon listen to while running? Jog-tune-o.
- Why don’t Pokémon go into politics? They Pikachu sides too easily.
- Why did the Psyduck go to the chiropractor? It had a duck-neck.
- What do you call a Pikachu that’s sneaky? Peek-at-you.
- Why was Pikachu stuck on the elevator? It was having a power outage.
- What do you get when you cross a Wailord with a Regigigas? A heavy lifter.
- Why did the Pikachu bring a ladder to the pool party? It wanted to jump off the diving board.
- What do you call a group of Diglett’s playing music? A subterranean band.
- Why was the Eevee afraid of the dark? It was afraid of the Vaporeon-light.
- Why couldn’t Pikachu be a model? It couldn’t take a good pik.
- How do you get a Pikachu on a bus? You Poke-him-on!
- What type of food do Pokémon eat for breakfast? Egg-secute.
- What do you call a Pikachu with an attitude? A Poké-duder.
Funny Poke Puns for Children
- Why don’t Pokémon ever go on a diet? Because they take a Pikachu at the buffet.
- Which Pokémon can’t get sick? The Perma-healthy.
- What do you call a Pikachu who is always nosy? Peek-at-you-too.
- Which Pokémon can do the best pranks? The Tricksters.
- Why do Pokémon like to bake? They can use their oven-chu.
- What do you call a Pikachu whose diet consists of cake? Peek-at-choo.
- Which Pokémon is the best at hide-and-seek? The Nin-jay-a.
- What do you call a group of Pokémon on a plane? The Flying-types.
- Which Pokémon is the fastest? The Speedy-gon.
- Why don’t Pokémon ever get lost? They always have a Pikachu.
- How do you get a Pikachu to laugh out loud? Poke-him-on the ribs.
- Which Pokémon is the most responsible? The Pika-leader.
- What do you call a Pikachu that likes to sing? Peek-at-tune.
- Why did the Pokémon make pancakes? So it could Pikachu your appetite.
- Which Pokémon makes the best pizza? The Pizzachu.
- Why did the Pikachu go to the seashore? To catch some waves, dude.
- Which Pokémon is afraid of pickles? The Onyx-pre-cious.
- Why did the Pokémon stare into space? To look for the Comet Pikachu.
- What do you call a group of electric-type Pokémon? A Sparks-dex.
- Why did the Pikachu use an umbrella? Because it was thunder-stormy.
- Which Pokémon loves to dance? The Chacha-char.
- Why did the Pikachu go to space? To see the Sparkly-way.
- What do you call a Pokémon who is always in the hot tub? A Soak-at-chu.
- Why did the Pokémon go to the doctor? It had a Bad-case-of-the-Pika-flu.
- What’s the best way to catch a Pokémon? Poke-ball-tistics!
Good Pokémon Puns Use in Movies
Pokémon puns and references are not just limited to internet humor and jokes. They have also made their way into multiple Pokémon-inspired movies. Here are some examples:
- In Pokémon: The First Movie, Meowth says, “I am the wisecracking sidekick; you’re the bungling hero,” to Ash Ketchum.
- In Detective Pikachu, there’s a sign for a “Gengar-mens Barber Shop.”
- In Pokémon: The Movie 2000, the character Lawrence III says, “But I’m the chosen one! I have to catch them all!”
- In Detective Pikachu, the character Jack says, “That’s the smell of a hero. It’s not unlike… old leaves and burnt popcorn, with an aftertaste of adventure.”
Pokémon puns are a lighthearted way to show one’s love for these fictional creatures. They can be in the form of simple one-liners, witty jokes, or longer tales, and they are enjoyed by fans of all ages. From Pikachu to Eevee, every Pokémon has a pun to its name. This article collected some of the best wordplays and puns available online and in the film. The key lesson here is that wordplay, even in its simplest form, can add a lot of fun to a fandom.